Which university residence to choose ?

University residences are residences managed by the CROUS (Regional Center for University and School Works). Offering affordable prices and proximity to places of study, they are a housing solution popular with students.

In this article, find everything you need to know about CROUS university residences :

Rooms or accommodation are allocated for a period of 10 to 12 months, from September 1 to August 31. Accommodation in university accommodation exempts the student from housing tax.

Types of university residences

Traditional residences

This is one of the most economical solutions. Built at the end of the 1960s, they are the subject of a vast renovation program. You can rent a furnished room, and you have shared sanitary facilities, collective kitchenettes, work or relaxation rooms, all for around € 250 per month on average (before deduction of the ALS (Social Housing Allowance), electricity and heating included.The types of accommodation are as follows:

  • Traditional room of 9m²
  • Renovated room of 14m²
  • Studios from 15 to 20m²

In traditional university residences, advance notice is required for departure before June 30. You can therefore leave your accommodation as soon as you have finished your end-of-year exams.

Residences under agreement

The accommodation in the approved residences is furnished and equipped. You can find several types there like studios, T1, T1 bis, T2 and T3. These are in fact HLM housing. Count 400 € per month on average for a T1. The accommodations are therefore larger than in traditional residences, and the residences offer collective services: laundry, cafeteria, photocopier, games room, sports room, library, Internet access ...

These accommodations give you the right to benefit from housing assistance (APL), for a rental contract that commits you for the entire period from September 1 to August 31.

The modalities of housing allocation

To obtain accommodation in one of these university residences, there is only one procedure: submit a request for a Student Social File (DSE) to the CROUS on which you depend.
Caution however, being eligible for the CROUS grant does not guarantee you accommodation in a CROUS residence.

Housing managed by CROUS is primarily allocated on social criteria. Students whose families have limited resources are given priority, and the award criteria are the same as for the tuition scholarship :

  • Income of the student and his parents
  • Family composition
  • Eloignement géographique du domicile familial

To extend your accommodation, do not forget to make your request on time (places are made available each year). If you want to keep the same accommodation, you will have to make a parallel request, directly to your residence.

  • %question% %answer%